Saturday, June 16, 2012

New 5-Start Review from Melodie: "Painfully Captivating"

A new 5-star review of Apart From Love, this time by the beautifully musical name of Melodie K. Starkey (of Chicago, IL) appeared on Amazon last night. Melodie must have been moved by one of my posts on Facebook, because she headed off to get the book. Later, I knew she was nearing the end, because I noticed a comment she left on another one of my posts. I must say this kind of close reader-writer interaction would not have happened, had I gone the route of traditional publishing. By going the Indie way, I get to meet so many wonderful readers and engage in conversation with them.



5.0 out of 5 stars Painfully CaptivatingJune 16, 2012
By 
Melodie K. Starkey (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   
Amazon Verified Purchase
This review is from: Apart From Love (Kindle Edition)
Reading this novel is like gawking at a tragic crime scene; you know you are intruding into something way too personal, but you NEED to know all the details--who was hurt and how, who was the guilty party, and most importantly how do I avoid this?
To me, the biggest strength of Apart from Love is the author's ability to craft these three seriously damaged characters in a way that makes us react to each as individuals, caring what happens, shouting advice from the sidelines, and feeling anger, pity, frustration, sorrow in turn. For all their flaws, Ben and Anita are like children that you want to shelter and save, while Lenny's small redeeming dedication to his ex-wife doesn't begin to counterbalance his overall dispicable character.
Written with a depth of language bordering on poetic and with laser sharp accuracy for penetrating to the core of your emotions, Apart from Love is a story that will continue to haunt you long after the dangling ending.

Curious to read more about Melodie, I went to her reviewer page on Amazon, and found this endearing, tongue-in-cheek note:

"I will never forgive my mother for naming me this stupid name, plus misspelling it."

No comments:

Post a Comment