Monday, July 28, 2014

A Peek at Bathsheba: Written by a Talented & Gifted Storyteller

Thomas Jerome Baker has written books in the following genres: romance, historical fiction, autobiographical, sports history/biography, and English Language Teaching. I am thrilled to find his review of my novel, A Peek at Bathsheba:


5.0 out of 5 stars A Peek at Bathsheba: Written by a Talented & Gifted StorytellerJuly 26, 2014
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: A Peek at Bathsheba (The David Chronicles Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Henry Fielding wisely wrote, "every book ought to be read with the same spirit and in the same manner as it is written." In "A Peek at Bathsheba" by Uvi Poznansky, it would be well to heed Fielding's words of wisdom. This book is inspired by the Bible. Nonetheless, it is most important for readers to hold uppermost in our minds one inescapable fact: This is not the Bible. Then how ought this book be best read?

Since it is not the Bible, we have two ways of reading. One, we can read this book as if it were the Bible, and vilify the book's author for any deviations or misinterpretations that contradict the Bible. Two, we can suspend disbelief and immerse ourselves in the richness of the story itself, and allow the author the creative license to be that which she is, namely, an exquisitely talented and gifted storyteller. I chose this latter way of reading.

I found this book to be enormously satisfying. Uvi Poznansky has taken an existing story, familiar to anyone who has read the Bible, and entertained me, captured my attention, my imagination, my admiration even. I indeed see this story from a new viewpoint. I have the freedom to ask, "What if?" More importantly, I am engaged, personally invested enough, to ask of myself, "What would I have done?" At that point, the author has fulfilled all of her authorial obligations when she achieves that I enter into the story she has constructed, losing all sense of time and place and self. This is precisely why I read, to enjoy such ethereal experiences. I recommend this book highly to any reader who is capable of suspending disbelief. You will surely enjoy this well written, exquisite story.

No comments:

Post a Comment